One thing that I’ve learned as a leader, is that reading is vital to continue growing and to get better as a leader. It’s also healthy for our brains and mental health. In light of that, I thought I’d share some some of the books I have recently read, what I am currently reading, and what is on my list to read.
Books I recently Finished:
- The Way of the Dragon or the Way of the Lamb: Searching for Jesus’ Path of Power in a Church that has Abandoned it by Jamin Goggin and Kyle Strobel – This book explores the idea of power through weakness. Following the way of Jesus vs the way from below. Great read for anyone in ministry.
- Excellence Wins: A No-Nonsense Guide to Becoming the Best in a World of Compromise by Horst Schulze – Love this book about providing world class customer service. Great stories of how the author developed and changed the work culture to make a huge impact and successful business. He also shares his personal life-changing experience with God.
- The Business of Generosity: How Companies, Nonprofits and Churches are Working Together to Deliver Remarkable Good by Dr. Stephen R. Graves – This book is all about how generosity and business can work together to improve the culture and profitability of a business. Great read for business leaders.
- What’s Next? The Journey to Know God, Find Freedom, Discover Purpose, and Make a Difference. by Chris Hodges – This is a great book about growing spiritually and taking your next step on your faith journey.
- Culture Wins: The Roadmap to an Irresistible Workplace by William Vanderbloeman – This book unpacks the importance of the culture in your workplace and how you can impact it for good or bad. Another must read for leaders.
- Trust Rules: How the World’s Best Managers Create Great Places to Work by Bob Lee – I loved this book because it makes very clear how to create a fantastic work environment. How trust building is one of the main ways to grow your organization and have long-term success.
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin – One of the best leadership books I’ve read in a while. Amazing stories from combat and training, and how that translates to your business or organization.
- MultiChurch: Exploring the Future of Multisite by Brad House and Greg Allison – great book with insight into what churches are doing with multisite to grow and reach more people. There are many ways to do it, and they look at the positives and negatives of all the models.
Books I am currently Reading or Plan on Reading this Summer:
- Covert Cows and Chick-fil-A: How Faith, Cows, and Chicken Built an Iconic Brand by Steve Robinson.
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts by Brene’ Brown
- Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a WorldFull of Setbacks and Difficult People by Bob Goff.
- Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today by John Stott
- Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller
- The Bible – Written by 40 different authors inspired by God and the best selling most read book of all time. Available in many different translations, I like the Message, Contemporary English Version and the New Century Version.
I hope this inspires you to do some reading this summer as well. This is one way you can work on yourself and grow. In whatever area of your life you want to improve, find a good book and start reading.