I found this in my leadership files and wanted to share this. Not sure where I got it, but some great reminders for everyone that has influence and is leading other people.
15 Leadership Tips:
- In other words, for people to embrace and follow compassionate, honest, ethical, peaceful, and fair principles, they must see these qualities demonstrated by their leadership.
- A given type of leadership inevitably attracts the same type of followers. Put another way, a leadership cannot behave in any way that it asks its people not to.
- Prior to expecting anyone to follow, a leader first needs to demonstrate a vision and values worthy of a following.
- The suggestion that loyalty and a following can be built by simply asking or forcing people to be loyal is not any basis for effective leadership.
- That is to say – loyalty to leadership relies on the leader having a connection with and understanding of people’s needs and wishes and possibilities. Solutions to leadership challenges do not lie in the leader’s needs and wishes. Leadership solutions lie in the needs and wishes of the followers.
- It is not possible for a leader to understand and lead people when the leader’s head is high in the clouds or stuck firmly up his backside.
- Incidentally, leading is helping people achieve a shared vision, not telling people what to do.
- Leaders get lost because of isolation, delusion, arrogance, plain stupidity, etc., but above all because they become obsessed with imposing their authority, instead of truly leading.
- Always, when leaders say that the people are not following, it’s the leaders who are lost, not the people.
- People are a lot more clever than most leaders think.
- People have a much keener sense of truth than most leaders think.
- People quickly lose faith in a leader who behaves as if points 10 and 11 do not exist.
- People generally have the answers which elude the leaders – they just have better things to do than help the leader to lead – like getting on with their own lives.
- A leadership which screws up in a big way should come clean and admit their errors. People will generally forgive mistakes but they do not tolerate being treated like idiots by leaders.
- And on the question of mistakes, a mistake is an opportunity to be better, and to show remorse and a lesson learned.