Being positive and encouraging people is more important than you might think. If you want to turn around your workplace, your company, your marriage or your relationship with your children this is the way to do it. Here are some interesting quotes from a great book called How Full Is Your Bucket by Tom Rath:
- The number #1 reason people leave their jobs (relationships) is they don’t feel appreciated
- Bad bosses (spouses) could increase the risk of stroke by 33%
- A study found that negative employees can scare off every customer they speak with-for good
- 65% of Americans received no recognition in the workplace (home) last year
- 9 out of 10 people say they are more productive when they’re around positive people
- The magic ratio: 5 positive interactions for every 1 negative interaction
- Extending longevity: Increasing positive emotions could lengthen life span by 10 years
So it’s clear that the majority of people don’t get the positive reinforcement they need. I believe this is true at work and at home. Some people are just naturally more positive than negative, but all of us can get better at this. Here are a few simple things you can do this week to be more positive or encouraging:
- Say Thank-you – this simple gesture goes a long way. Be sincere and specific.
- Write a note – hand-written notes take time and are more meaningful than emails or texts
- Smile – your face matters
- Listen – when you actively listen people feel valued
- Slow down – Take some time to actually get to know someone or have a meaningful conversation
- Touch – a high-five, knuckle-bump, touch on a shoulder etc sends positive signals. With your spouse this could be a hug, kiss, holding hands etc.
One thing to be aware of as you work on being positive is to be careful what you are taking in. What you watch on TV, what you read, what you listen to, all affect how positive or negative you are. Feed your mind positive good things and you tend to be more positive to other people.