Recently I had a conversation with some people that attend and volunteer at the church that I work at. As we talked about some of the conversations they had at work and in the community, I heard several times that many of the people they talk to about church say “Oh you go to That Church”. Now I’m guessing that the comment comes from people that are either already going to a church or grew up in church. The reason I say that is because people that are familiar with church tend to have a picture of what a church should be like. I know that I had those same thoughts when I first heard about NewPointe over 17 years ago. I questioned why they did certain things and why they didn’t do certain things. But then I tried it and was changed forever, my picture of church was wrecked in a good way.
When a church comes along that doesn’t line up with our picture of the church we grew up with or currently attend, we will question the validity of that church. Most people’s natural tendency is to poke fun or shoot holes in something they don’t understand.
I actually love that people would say you go to “That Church”. That means that we are getting noticed and people are actually talking about church, maybe in a way that they have not talked before. It leads to spiritual conversations and gets people thinking. There is no perfect church, because there are no perfect people. As a church leader I don’t claim to know it all or have the best way of doing things. I want to create a place where people can connect with God and other people.
So here are some things I love about That Church, otherwise known as NewPointe Community Church:
- I love that we accept and love everyone, no matter how they look, act or where they come from.
- I love that we speak the truth openly and often and also extend grace openly and often.
- I love that we are trying to be a church that unchurched people love to attend.
- I love that we are outward focused, wanting to reach as many people as possible.
- I love that we try to lead people to take their next step spiritually no matter where they are at spiritually. So no matter where someone is at with God, we want them to take another step closer.
- I love that we partner with parents to help children and students grow spiritually.
- I love that we are a generous church, giving our time, talent and treasure for God’s work.
- I love that our messages are relevant, real and practical.
- I love that we focus more on people than on programs.
- I love that we use technology to reach people more effectively.
- I love that we have a vision to reach Ohio and beyond with the Good News about Jesus Christ.
- I love that we are creative and willing to try new and different things to reach and connect with people.
- I love that we emphasize leadership and taking responsibility for all our relationships.
- I love that we don’t need to put on a mask when we go to church and can be real.
- I love that we use music to worship God and that we play it loud.
- I love that we are willing to serve our community in practical ways to meet the needs of people and local organizations.
- I love that we are willing to partner with other churches and organizations to make a difference in the world around us.
- I love that we can laugh in church.
- I love that we can drink coffee in church.
- I love that we emphasize connecting in small groups and doing life with others.
- I love that we deal with conflict directly and speak the truth in love to resolve conflicts.
- I love that we know we don’t have all the answers and are willing to learn from others.
- I love that people can come and worship God together from all walks of life.
- I love my church – That Church!